Beanies are little, brimless, round caps. They are head-hugging caps made of fabric or felt material. They can also be made of leather or silk. The trend of wearing beanies became widely popular during the 20th century, especially among young men. More appropriately known as fisherman beanies, these skullcaps were widely worn by young laborers and gradually became the baseball cap.
These caps go their name from the bean-sized button in the middle. Explore the various benefits and features of these unique caps.
There are a number of reasons why beanies have evolved over the years to be worn by fishermen. These reasons also make these caps more suited for those engaged in outdoor activities.
- Fishing means spending a lot of time out in the bright sun. A good fisherman beanie provides excellent protection against harmful UV rays. They can also protect against sunburn and sunstroke.
- Beanies for fishermen are designed to be waterproof. Whether it is raining or you are splashed and sprayed by the water all around you when fishing, you will not have to worry.
- At the same time, these caps are breathable and sit tight on your head even when it is windy. Strong winds are a part of a fisherman’s life.
- Some beanies feature fleece that provides protection from cold weather.
Types of Fisherman Beanies
There are different types of fisherman beanies for you to consider. This includes:
- Customized Fisherman Beanies: These are standard beanies featuring the sides turned up or back to the front. These caps look perfect when paired with a distressed shirt or a denim coat, creating a casual look.
- Customized Graphic Beanies: These beanies feature a design, pattern, or statement on them. These caps are further divided into different types including cotton, slouchy, and fitted. Beanies usually look better when they are worn with layer outfits.
- Customized Cuffed Beanies: These beanies feature a sleeve around the edge that goes slightly over the ears and around the forehead. They will typically have the extra material sewn at the base. Bound beanies are often seen in both cotton and fleece. Again, these caps are suited for a casual look. They can go perfectly with a cool-looking coat.
Fishermen beanies could be almost anything. Their origins go back to the time when men needed to fish for food and had to protect their heads from the elements. However, this doesn’t mean that these caps are meant only for men. They also allow women to make a great fashion statement.
Tips for Wearing Fishermen Beanies
It is recommended to follow these tips when wearing your beanies:
- Short Hair: Avoid large or slouchy beanies. You should choose close-fitting and traditional beanies for your short hair. Further, look for thin to medium thickness beanies and avoid excessively chunky knitted styles.
- Curly Hair: If you have thick and curly hair, choose looser styles. Consider slouchy or high-top beanies.
- Long Hair: If you have long hair, consider slim-fitted styles. Roll the cap back so that it allows revealing your face.
So, keep all these points in mind when choosing and wearing your fisherman beanie. These caps have a classic appeal to them that adds another dimension to your personality and style.